Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Dia-Betty Update Part Two

Haven't checked in over here at THE GREAT SWEET CUT-OUT OF 2011 lately. Just too busy being diabetic I guess.

Wanted to share a few things which I've noticed since my diet changed.

First off, my blood sugar levels this evening proved that I had my first big cheat. We found some frozen toaster waffles which are better than the average bear, and some sugar-free syrup. By no means an uber-healthy choice, but better than previous sweets. My portion control was a little whack this evening, and so when I checked my sugars a bit ago, well over 200. Now, that's the highest it's been since my first week of diagnosis. Lesson learned? Portion control; even of "good for you" items is still a necessity. Good. Got it. Moving on.

The following items may fall under the category of TMI. That's 'TOO MUCH INFORMATION' for those of you who don't recognize such abbreviations. What's wrong w/ you? OMG! WTF! ;)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

My general fondness for Rolaids (until they were taken off the shelf recently) and for Tums and their ilk has taken a sharp downturn. Not cuz I no longer appreciate their minty-freshness and calcium goodness, but cuz I no longer need them. I can't recall having had heartburn more than once or twice since my diet was forced to change. Saving a couple of bucks, and I'm not waking in a midnight panic cuz I binged on a bunch of junk food crap before bedtime and now had the sudden sensation of a spirited acid reflux. Have you had this happen before? Your body wakes you from a dead sleep, INSISTING that you sit up immediately as not to vomit stomach acid all over your sleeping partner? No? No one? Hmm. I think you're lying. Anyway...GONE. GONE. GONE. Nice.

My BM's (BOWEL MOVEMENTS for you slow-on-the-uptake folks) have basically found a regular daily pattern. Certainly the fact that I now eat at approximately the same time EVERY DAY, plus the fact that I'm eating a lot more fiber (veggies, fruits, grains, etc.), account for this wondrous new tradition. Right away in the morning, and rarely...a second time in the day. Frankly, my old diet had me going multiple times a day, involving SOUTH PARK's Kenny-type explosive diarrhea and the next day, "blowing-out-your-O-ring", painful pushing and shoving just to get a goat-turd. Don't blame me, people, I warned you! I haven't been this regular in at least 10 years, and I gotta say...it's underrated!

Next up on the TMI list...my sex drive seems to have taken on new heights. Feeling those urgings and yearnings more often than before. Too bad the other half's never around. Ha!

Headaches seem to be a thing of the past; for the most part. I still have the occasional one...mostly when I let my blood sugar drop too far (something I'm still VERY aware of, after TWO bouts w/ low numbers). Figured out that the big drops come after my first round of meds in the morning. Just have to be sure I have ample carbs for breakfast...in other words...I can have eggs, but a couple of pieces of toast to go w/ all that protein. I'm still learning here.

I don't know if it's some sort of placebo effect, but I truly feel more energized. I'm still exhausted when I get home from work, but I think that's just the work itself...on my feet all day.

Despite the additional energy surges I've been experiencing, I've still been lazy in several departments. 1) I've done absolutely nothing to move ahead in my writing career. 2) I have yet to use my doc's referral to see the podiatrist. 3) I have yet to get in touch w/ a dietician. It seems that even though my diet has changed drastically, my lack of motivation remains at an all time guilt-ridden low. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Overall, I think I'm doing a bang-up job, but that confirmation will have to wait until my next doctor visit.

My #s have been steadily dropping...some days they'll get back up there (never past 200 until tonight!), but in general, I think I'm in a pretty good place.

My sweet cravings have dwindled...although seeing baked goods (my MORTAL enemy) while perusing the store shelves, makes for some honest-to-God mouth watering.

The other half (God bless him) found me a three-portion box of SUGAR-FREE PEEPS (first brought to my attention by friend Vanessa). They definitely taste different, but still a perfect treat for this season.

Keep posted, as THE GREAT SWEET CUT-OUT OF 2011 continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment