Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dia-Betty Updates

A few thoughts from recent days...as far as my DISEASE!

Forgot to mention that I was weighed in on the day of my diagnosis. 187 w/ my clothes on. I was about 225 when we left Chicago (coming up on 3 years ago). When I went to my updated doctor (@ Cedars), I was in only undies, and it came up as 183 (I'll take that, thank you very much). The doctor commented on the fact that he had never seen an onset of diabetes after a great weight LOSS. That's me, the freak of nature.

My adt'l bloodwork came back, and on top of my high sugars, I've got high cholesterol. Really? I'm just shocked.

My store did well last month, so as is the norm, our DM brings us loads of treats. So in our cupboards and refrigerator in our "break room" (actually a tiny little counter w/ a mini-fridge and two upper cabinets...oh, and a sink) there are legions of candy bars in "snack-size". I get to waft the scent into my nostrils, as if they were a fine wine. Hey, I'll take it.

Got the blood-testing down to a science. Don't even have to think about it anymore...just do it. It's kind of nice to already be in a mindless zone as far as keeping things "normal".

Oh...and I also had some lumps on the bottom of my feet checked out when I was w/ the doctor. I'll be scheduling an exam w/ a podiatrist (@ Cedars Sinai--where Liz passed away, may she rest in peace). Based on my exploration of Wikipedia (and my all-to-common self-diagnosis), it's something called plantar fibromatosis. They've been there for a while, but I've chosen to ignore them; along w/ my frequent peeing and dire thirst needs. But, they've lately been irritating me, so I had the doc take a look. My research states that they could or can be related to diabetes, and are also genetic (that's strike two Mom!) I'll keep my avid readers of 1 updated on this as well...since apparently it's all part of the same issue!

I've decided that the 1800 calorie diet they set out for me while I was in the hospital, is not really something I will continue. This will come out as a rationalization...hell, it IS a rationalization, but as long as we're all on the same page...I'm not over-eating as I used to. Not binge eating, trying DESPERATELY to not eat while bored, but I'm eating more regular portions. Just as an example, I've gone back to my beloved Sharky's (a great organic Mexican grill across the street from work--where I've seen Brent Spiner and Chris O'Donnell, but I digress). I've taken to having salads there. Now...their portions are pretty damn large, but I still finished the whole thing. Am I to feel guilty about this? Lettuce, tomatoes, rice, beans, chicken, grilled veggies (squash), onions, guacamole, sour cream (did I miss anything?). I don't think it's all bad, and I feel I need a good amount of fuel to do my job. I'm on my feet about 7 1/2 hours a day, and I'm running around, up and down stairs, lifting boxes, moving furniture, helping morons. It gets exhausting and I need energy to do these things. So, does an 1800 calorie diet make sense? I don't know. Your thoughts?

The Great Sweet Cut-Out of 2011 continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment