Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Food No-No's and Do-Do's #1

In my research, I plan to check on individual eats, so that I can know what in my previous diet will be allowed, denied or re-configured.

First up...BANANAS. I love bananas. I can eat three in one sitting. I know they're natural, have potassium and other goodies, but can I have them on a regular menu; seeing as though I'm a raging homosex--er, uh, I mean a raging diabetic? Sorry, habit! :)

Well, right from the source (The American Diabetes Association), a banana okay from one of their "Dear Abby" -type dietitians.

"Yes, your husband can still eat bananas and other types of fruit. Bananas are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, but they do have some carbohydrates. In fact, all fruits have some carbohydrates which should be accounted for in a diabetes meal plan. If your husband wants to include bananas in his meal plan, he may want to become familiar with portion sizes and the number of carbohydrates in each.

Bananas vary quite a bit in size, which can make counting the carbs difficult. Below are some estimates for different sizes.

Extra small banana (6 inches long or less) - 18.5 grams of carbohydrate

Small banana (about 6-6 7/8 inches long) –23 grams of carbohydrate

Medium banana (7-7 7/8 inches long) – 27 grams of carbohydrate

Large banana (8-8 7/8 inches long) – 31 grams of carbohydrate

Extra large banana (9 inches or longer) – 35 grams of carbohydrate

How your blood glucose responds to different foods can vary from person to person. He may need to make individual adjustments to fit his need and meal plan."

There you have it...bananas (as with everything it seems) are okay in small doses (certainly not three in a matter of 4 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment