Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Ironing is Delicious...

It's not lost on me that I've been diagnosed w/ Type 2 diabetes around this time of year. It had to be this or Halloween (another candy-heavy holiday) in order to really hit home and challenge me.

Easter. Lots of my friends (or my "peeps" if you will) know that I am a recovering Peep-aholic. There was an Easter season when I was popping those little balls of goo like they were pills (is that the right analogy, or is it the other way around? Hmmm). Must have been my junior year in college (about 5 years ago, ahem). Everyone I knew found out that I had a thing for peeps, so I began receiving them in the large economy barrel size...daily. On top of that, my mother sent her usual Easter basket of goodies, which always included a hefty helping of the little yellow bastards (and just so you know my preference--I always gravitated to the yellow birds. Bunnies and other colors BE DAMNED!)

We were out shopping @ Target today, where I picked up some almonds and rice-cakes, and checked prices on One Touch products.

Every corner of Target was Easter-tastic. Which means that the chocolate marshmallow bunnies (another weakness) Peeps and other coma-inducing baddies were around ever corner. Taunting me. Obviously we made it out okay, no stowaway Peeps, but things were about to get even more terrible.

@ our local grocer, Fresh and Easy, they have a lovely section of dated items...stuff that just passed their expiration date. Clearance. We sometimes find some real gems, and other times, you'd best not waste your time.

One item we see regularly is day old apple pies. Not that I hate apple pie, but it's never my first choice @ a Baker's Square or the like. So I never get them; even though I love a good deal.

In all of our three years shopping @ this location, I've never seen this next item in their clearance section.

A banana-effing-cream pie. I adore banana-effing-cream pie...A LOT. Well, today there was one there...staring at me, laughing at me...fluttering it's creamy, delicious eyelids--flat out FLIRTING with me.

"To hell", I said.

And it turned its attentions elsewhere.

Control.

So, Peeps (and banana-effing-cream pies) are certainly off the list. No need to research those. I'll miss the little buggers, but I guess a longer lifespan filled with waking moments, not death by sugar--preceded by fatigue and stomach pain...is worth the sacrifice.

The GREAT SWEET CUT-OUT continues...

1 comment:

  1. I will stand strong with you this Easter season by resisting all Peeps!
    (this is Linz, by the way - can't figure out how to flippin' comment as myself!)

    ReplyDelete