Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

I'm SHOCKED! Okay, not really...

Seems like only yesterday. Wait, it was ALMOST yesterday. 2 days ago. I went in for a physical...checking weight, height, my trick knee, that lump on my foot, etc. And of course, the obligatory blood work.

Diabetes runs rampant in my family...from both sides. I've never had a good diet. Sugar (specifically chocolate--specifically moist, delicious baked goods, i.e cupcakes, cake, pastries) is my weak spot. I can't get enough of it.

On top of the horrible things I eat, we have the problem (and it's generally a BIG problem) of portion control. I eat until it effects my breathing. I eat until I feel ill. I eat until I pass out. Okay, it's never been quite that bad...but bad is bad, after all.

Also, I eat QUICKLY. My brain never has enough time to process the food intake, until it's too late. By then, I'm left feeling bloated, guilty and stupid.

Suffice to say...I don't exercise, I don't eat well and my genes are never going to provide me with a road map to health.

The doctor checked everything out, sent me to the lab and took his next patient. An immediate result from the blood work? Blood sugars @ 437. What the hell does that mean? Well, I knew it wasn't good when the lab tech pulled the doctor from his current patient to come talk to me. They took a look @ the blood monitor and then walked on over.

"437."
"So, what's normal?"
"Around 100. We're sending you to urgent care."

This was Friday, March 11th, 2011.

Thus begins my journey to a healthier me. Should have done it a long time ago, but there is no room for regrets. Well, there could be room, now that the sugars will take up less room in my body.

Not that I'm necessarily scared or apprehensive...not to any SCARY degree. I know it'll take a lot of work, but I'm up for the challenge. I still have plenty of shit to accomplish in my life and I haven't got time for adt'l nonsense. The goal is to learn my new processes and eating habits as quickly as possible, so that I don't even have to think twice.

So won't you come along with me, as I learn to live w/ this diabetic monster?

Join me for THE GREAT SWEET CUT-OUT OF 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment